BootsnAll Travel Network



Lighting Strikes Twice, Still Sick, Scenes from San Cristobal, and Much More…

I have one hour of internet time, so I’m going to see just how much I can churn out in that amount of time.  It is Tuesday night and I have an early wake up tomorrow morning to catch my bus to….Las Vegas, Nevada!  Yeah, I totally agree with Jonas and Rene, so it’s on to Sin City, bay-bee!  Well, maybe I’ll need to hold off on that for just another 2 months or so.

But I’m heading off to Palenque, about 5 hours away, and site of some Mayan ruins and a “legendary” traveler’s hangout town called El Panchan.  Hopefully I’ll be able to recover there from my sore throat, my cough, and now this—runny nose and sneezing sneezing sneezing.  Is it already allergy season?  Not only that, I have a headache and I’ve been pretty tired of late.  So I am hopeful that a change of scenery and pace is all that my body will need to re-energize for the road ahead! 

As I mentioned in my previous post, San Cristobal rocks!  So much to see and do, and so much to not see and not do…a great place to just hang out, people watch, and forget about the time on your clock.  Which is why I ended up staying a week here.  On now to a photo review of my time in San Cristobal de Las Casas, Chiapas, Mexico.

 

IMG_6715.JPG

Thursday I spent the late morning speeding down Sumidero Canyon in a high speed boat, and then ate lunch at a cool little town next to the river.

 

IMG_6759.JPG

I ended up eating at a street stall and had my first Mexican style hamburger with its super thin patty on a huge bun, cut into portions like a pizza.

 

IMG_6774.JPG

Back in town in the main cathedral square, I got a kick out of these Japanese travelers trying to make some extra dough for their journeys by selling their Japanese writing skills to the hoards of Mexican families vacationing in San Cristobal.  If I had a sign that advertised “I will write your name in English for $50”, I seriously doubt that I would have any takers.

 

IMG_6781.JPG

Holy Thursday saw the night of the Last Supper, and then the beginning of his passion.  In this scene enacted close to midnight, the Roman soldiers take watch of the prisoners over their campfire.

 

IMG_6797.JPG

Some of the streets were closed down so that they could be decorated with elaborate religious displays.  The ground is covered with a colored  cedar dust, and later that evening the Silent March will walk through all this handiwork.

 

IMG_6799.JPG

Good Friday.  Jesus is sentenced and led out of his cage while the soldiers look on.

 IMG_6839.JPG

Jesus carrying the cross through the streets.

 

IMG_6859.JPG

The guy portraying Jesus really went all out, stumbling and falling and taking vicious whips to the back from the guards.  This procession lasted almost 3 hours as he made his way around the city, and finally back to the church where it began.

 

IMG_6872.JPG

Here he is hoisted up to the cross.

 

IMG_6884.JPG

They were up there for about 15 minutes as the actors and voice-over speaker finished off the scene.

 

IMG_6900.JPG

IMG_6904.JPG

Finally, he is let down and into the arms of the grieving.

 

IMG_6915.JPG

Later that night, I waited almost 3 hours to watch the Silent March walk all over those cedar dust scenes.  Luckily I sat close to 2 Canadians that kept me entertained as I recovered from eating too much at a buffet.  Yeah, big surprise there, huh?

 

IMG_6929.JPG

The Silent March.  Here’s Jesus being carried on his cross.

 

IMG_6963.JPG

Saturday I took a day tour to two villages outside San Cristobal.  This church is in Chamula, where it is forbidden to take pictures inside the church or of any of the townspeople because they believe taking a photo takes away their spirit and soul.  Our tour guide also explained the whole exorcism thing with the egg that Mitzi wrote about.

 

IMG_6941.JPG

We also visited Zincantal (I’m going on memory regarding the spelling, so I could be wrong) and to a weaving co-op where we sampled their 36% alcohol “Punche” and watched the weaving process.

 

IMG_6961.JPG

Sunday I walked around town and of course celebrated Easter with my bullfight.  There was a used bookfair in the cathedral square and was hoping that I could score a cheap, used book to read.  Aside from Danielle Steele novels, there wasn’t much else in the way of English language books.  I did find this gem, but for $15 US I thought his asking price was a bit too high.

 

IMG_6967.JPG

I did go horseback riding, which seemed like a good idea at the time.  I was sick and figured that riding a horse would be easy.  WRONG!  10 minutes into the 4 hour ride, I wanted off.  I forgot just how beat up you get “riding” a horse.  I am still sore and stiff and suffering from the after effects of my body being bounced up and down, up and down, up and down.  My ass hurts as do all the rest of my muscles in my body. 

 

IMG_6974.JPG

Church on the hill with a nice view over the city.

 

IMG_7031.JPG

A shot of the Spring Fair midway as the sun sets.  I was too sore to try any of the amusement rides.

 

IMG_7098.JPG

A half-ripped poster for the wrestling event!

 

IMG_7083.JPG

Live, at the match!  Where lightening strikes twice and where I’ll need to continue this story next time….

 

IMG_7121.JPG

The main cathedral and the center of all the action.  Surrounding my pedestrian-only shopping arcades, the government building, Parque Central and more, this is the place to just relax and enjoy everything happening around you.  The place hops well past midnight as nightclubs and late-night cafes cater to the night owls.

 

Alas, my hour is up!  Didn’t get a chance to tell my story of what happened to me at the wrestling event, so hopefully I’ll have time in my next update.  I’m not proofreading this post so that’s that, adios to San Cristobal!



Tags:

One response to “Lighting Strikes Twice, Still Sick, Scenes from San Cristobal, and Much More…”

  1. Mike Jones says:

    Thats not a F__king horse!!!

    Thats a Donkey!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *