BootsnAll Travel Network



Cafe La Luna

I’m currently relaxing on the beach of Isla Mujeres, reading, of course, and enjoying the laid-back vibe of this beautiful place. So here is an entry I wrote a long time ago and never had a chance to post, which is just a good excuse to get back to my reading. If I feel so inspired I should have a new entry for this Friday…

Cafe La Luna deserves it’s own post. Located just 2 blocks from school, this cozy and long established cafe restaurant is THE place to go for hot chocolate, coffee and pastries. You can study here, socialize, or listen to some really good live music. The second time I went here an acoustic guitarist played.

Cafe La Luna serves different variations of hot chocolate and coffee, along with pastries, sandwiches and other nibbles.  The hot chocolate is simply rich, smooth and unforgettable.  Seriously, it’s like drinking a hot, melted bar of chocolate. I don’t know what they put into the chocolate drinks and I still can’t read most of the menu, so I just experiment and order the specials of the day and pick and choose from different categories. I haven’t been disappointed yet.

Hours, unfortunately, are limited. They close up shop at 9pm, even on weekends. Therefore, when we need a late night hang out, we go downstairs to a separate entrance to their sister venture, Vino y Queso. It’s La Luna’s cheese and wine bar. If we get there before 9pm, we can still order off of the La Luna menu.  One Friday after our school program/dinner, 8 of us converged downstairs for food, desserts, wine and cheese. Total bill?  Under $40 US!  This included 2 different bottles of red wine and a platter of four cheeses cut into cubes. 2 of us, me and a girl from Sweden, also ordered the special dish of the day. And 4 of us, including me of course, ordered dessert. My share of all my food and drink came to 53 quetzals, or just over $7.

IMG_3825.JPG

The wine bar / cellar, downstairs from La Luna (but owned by the same people).

IMG_3830.JPG

There is a second adjacent room that has a larger table for bigger groups, but the lighting is very dim and my pictures didn’t quite come out.

IMG_3881.JPG

Finally, real food! This is the special of the day, which was just great!

IMG_4217.JPG

My dessert from a Friday, a moist and rich cake with fresh strawberries. Mitzy had the apple strudel with a scoop of vanilla ice cream…

IMG_4216.JPG

This picture probably won’t come out, but it is all of us at the table.



Tags:

-7 responses to “Cafe La Luna”

  1. Mike says:

    You went where I told you to go! I took a scooter and went around the island in 30 minutes I think. Great sunsets looking over Cancun. Go into the mall in Cancun. They have a stream that flows ocean water throughout the mall. Pretty cool. Did you go to Playa del Carmen or are you heading there which would take you in one big circle heading back to Guatemala?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *