BootsnAll Travel Network



A Culinary Photo Tour, Xela Guatemala

So I did the rounds of the street vendor food, and this post is to remind me of what I enjoyed at Parque Central of Xela, Guatemala…

IMG_6679.JPG

The round things on the outside of the plancha are called puposas — fried tortillas stuffed with cheese and sometimes with meat. In the middle of the plancha are las garnaches — little fried tortillas with meat and cheese topping.

IMG_6680.JPG

Deep fried rolled tortillas, filled with meat or veggies…a Guatemalan version of a Taco.

IMG_6681.JPG

Los Rellenitos… a plantano (similar to a banana) shaped into a ball and then stuffed with black beans and fried in oil (just like most things in Guatemala)

IMG_6682.JPG

Los elotes — corn on the cob, but they take it to another level, smothering all sides with mayo and ketchup, and then adding some chile powder and some squeezes of lime. Huh?

IMG_6684.JPG

My yummy yummy churros. Yeah, okay, maybe its all just oil I taste, but give me some hot chocolate to dip my fried donut in and I’m in heaven!

IMG_6685.JPG

Los nueganos…little donut holes fried in oil. 3 or 4 go into a plastic bag, then the vendor dumps this really sweet liquid inside, closes up the bag, gives it a turn and a shake, and hands it back to you. The sweet liquid is soaked up into the little donut holes, and the result isn’t what I expected. One time is enough for me.

IMG_6687.JPG

The taco stand…3 corn tortillas piled high with shredded pork, onions and salsa. Deelish!

In addition, there are other food staples that I had not gotten pictures for… tamale (basically a corn tortilla ball, very dense and not fried), empanadas (folded tortillas stuffed with fillings and then fried), chuchitos (tamales with chicken wrapped in banana leaves), los paches (rice in banana leaves) and chiles rellenos (stuffed pepper).

And I’m trying to forget black beans, eggs and tortillas for a reason, but I know they’ll always be a part of my memory regarding my life down in Xela for over a month…



Tags:

One response to “A Culinary Photo Tour, Xela Guatemala”

  1. Mon says:

    I expect you to be able to make every single one of those plates when you get back, and in return I will help you reminisce the life you lived in Xela by making you black beans, tortillas, and eggs….and maybe, just maybe a margarita! 🙂

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *