BootsnAll Travel Network



Why?

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Why do you like to travel? I get asked this question a lot. I never quite know how to answer because I don’t like to travel. I don’t like airplanes. I like sleeping in my own bed. I don’t like living out of a backpack. I get terrible motion sickness. Paul Theroux, one of the greatest living travel writers, likes to point out that the root of the word “travel” means misery and hardship because he hates to travel, too. Travel truly is awful: waiting for planes. trains. buses. feeling dirty. exhausted. frustrated. out of place. helpless. mute. purposeless. broke.

Enter my favorite quote regarding travel: “Travel is limiting the comforts of the body to gain freedom of the mind.”

I don’t travel for sightseeing or lazy days on the beach. I travel for the challenge. To introduce myself to entirely new ways of thinking. Entirely new ways of living. To clear my mind of the mundane thoughts that so often fill our days, and focus on the deep powerful presence of life.

Some people view long-term travel as a form of escapism, and for some it may be, but I view it as diving head first into life, and emerging with an experience that will benefit you (and those around you) for the rest of your life. It’s a personal investment. I suppose the short answer to the question “Why do you like to travel?” is that I want to develop myself, become more informed, more confident, more tolerant, more secure.

My next post will be from Russia. I have a one-way ticket leaving St. Louis on Monday and arriving in Moscow on Tuesday. I know one word of Russian.

I can’t wait.



Tags: , , , ,

7 responses to “Why?”

  1. ann ceely says:

    Hi, Amanda, You go girl! I love that you are challenging yourself cause that is what life is all about. I’m looking forward to reading about your adventures. My latest adventure is learning to teach online since I will be starting this fall whether I know how or not!yikes…anyway if you are up in the north of Thailand you should contact Fred in Phrae! Good luck, Ann

  2. Simon says:

    What you wrote is beautiful.
    Traveling makes my mind free and my soul full.

    Enjoy Rusia 🙂

  3. Greg says:

    I hope the one word that you know is “cheers”! 🙂

    – Greg

  4. Scott says:

    Bravo.

  5. Mary K says:

    You never cease to amaze. Life-long learners have perspectives of living that others can’t fathom. Life is too short to vegetate when there is so-o-o-o much to do and explore. Enjoy every moment!

  6. Marguerite says:

    Well put! Whenever someone asks me which country I visited, I never know quite what to say – I usually just say they all have been great, which always sounds sort of lame. But I never think people will understand when I say I love doing all the day to day things – going to the market for instance – just to experience the differences. of course I love the sights and history, but that’s just part of it.

  7. Luci says:

    Amanda, I just wanted to let you know that I enjoy your blog very much. You have a wonderful way with words (and photos!). I especially appreciated this entry on why you like to travel.

    I hope the rest of your journey continues to be fulfilling.

    Safe travels,
    Luci
    (traveler in training…)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *