BootsnAll Travel Network



The Plan

I had just begun to get used to life back in the States when a friend challenged me to a new adventure: The Trans-Siberian/Mongolian railway. It has always been a travel goal of mine. 5,772 miles. 8 time zones. 3 countries: Russia. Mongolia. China.

Of course I wanted to go, but I had excuses. I didn’t have enough money. I didn’t want to quit my job. I had just returned to the States in May ’06 after living abroad for over two years and I didn’t want to uproot myself once again. I thought about it. Alot. I worked out imaginary budgets. My friend sent me the Lonely Planet Trans-Siberian guide book. I read it. I decided I had to go. If each tomorrow were promised to me, maybe I’d wait a few more years, but life is fragile and uncertain, and we must seize every opportunity while we can. I stopped spending, started saving, and I’ll be flying into Moscow in three short weeks.

Russia

Rachmaninoff, Dostoevsky, Tolstoy, Chekhov, Gogol, Pushkin… I love them all. I want to know more about the country and culture that can produce such literary and musical giants. I want to experience Moscow, St. Petersburg, old Siberian towns. I want to learn more about the mystery, melancholy, and passion so often associated with Russia.

Mongolia

I’ve always been fascinated with Mongolia. Nomads, yurts, big sky, rich colors, natural beauty, Buddhism, and Ghengis Khan. I’m down. In fact, the first time I applied for the Peace Corps I told the recruiter I didn’t care where he sent me as long as it wasn’t someplace cold. Unless it was Mongolia. I’d be willing to be cold for Mongolia.

We will be lucky enough to experience the Naadaam festival in July, which is supposedly THE festival of festivals in Mongolia. Wrestling (see picture below), archery, horseback riding, dazzling ceremonies, and who knows what else. In addition to Naadaam we’re hoping to see some of the countryside and chill with a nomad or two to learn a bit about the nomadic lifestyle.

China

The train ends in Beijing. So, I’ll see The Great Wall, The Forbidden City, and ride a bike around with 20 million other people, but my main focus in China is Wu Shu (Kung Fu). I’ll be training in Kung Fu and Mandarin Chinese language for several months.

Tibet

Home to the Dalai Lama (currently living in exile in Northern India), the Himalayas, and a fascinating people and culture, Tibet is a place that is changing rapidly and that may soon be lost forever. I would like to beat Starbucks to the Potala Palace, hence another reason for the urgency of this trip. Tibet is so politically sensitive that the Chinese visa officer in Washington, DC made me white-out Tibet on the list of places I intended to visit in China before considering me for a 90 day double entry visa.

Thailand

A trip to Asia without a stop in Thailand, where I recently spent two years as a Peace Corps volunteer, would just be wrong. It will be almost a year and a half since I’ve seen my friends, neighbors, and students, and I miss them. I miss Thailand.

Please follow along on my journey. Send me comments. Send me inspiration. Send me money. I look forward to hearing from each and every one of you.

Live your dreams… “for life is holy and every moment precious.” – Jack Kerouac

-Amanda



Tags: , , , , , ,

7 responses to “The Plan”

  1. Greg says:

    Your WuShu picture made my heart beat harder….I can’t wait to read about your adventure!

    – G

  2. J.J. Mackey says:

    Hey kiddo,
    I just wanted to say that it was good to see your face on myspace. I don’t know how I ended up here but I hope you get this message. I cannot tell you how inspiring it is to see all of the experiences you’ve had. To think of the lack of “living I have done in the past 14 years makes me sick. I want you to share some of your life wonder’s with me the next time you are home. I am starving for a purpose in this life. What little life we have left. Talk to you soon beautiful.

    Jay Mackey

    P.S. I don’t know if you have access to a phone, but just in case, my phone number is 618-580-8807. I would really love to hear your voice.

  3. Scott says:

    OK, I have the blog bookmarked, so I will be checking in on your adventures.

  4. Marybeth says:

    I loved the part about each tomorrow promised to you, maybe a few more years, or was it minutes…only kidding. What an unique person you are. Loved by us very much. I am getting over jet Lag with a high 12 on the scale of 1 to 10 and you are going 8 time zones. OH MY>>>my little adventurer. Enjoy, live, of course love, and your Mom and I laugh a lot. Be safe and I will see you when you return. What a blog you have…very in depth.

  5. Jay says:

    I just wanted to thank you again for stealing the limelight of my Portland offer with your Hong Kong one. grr……:-)

    Be Safe and don’t forget your toothbrush!

  6. joanne jung says:

    great adventure, little amanda…hope you have a wonderful time the next few months…good luck…be safe & i’ll be praying for your safe return…

  7. Marybeth says:

    PicKpocket? I thought being shot with an air rifle in Soulard was bad.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *