BootsnAll Travel Network



Back in the Land of the Free

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

My first trip to Thailand was six years ago. I was living in Japan at the time and it was just a quick vacation. I immediately loved it, though. I loved the chaos, the tolerance, the relaxed lifestyle. I knew I would return one day.

The second time I came to Thailand I stayed for 28 months. I came with a group of 36 people who were also crazy enough to sign up for 2 years of development work in a country left up to the US Goverments’ choosing. As Peace Corps trainees we lived with Thai families, learned to speak the language, understand the culture, and teach in Thai schools. Then we were sent off to separate locations where we would spend two years of our lives immersing ourselves in Thai culture. It wasn’t always easy, but I loved the experience, and I absolutely love Thailand.

This is my third trip to Thailand. It’s great to be back. My days revolve around food and practicing Thai with anyone who will talk to me (which is mostly everyone because Thais are generally very friendly and gracious), visiting with friends, and just enjoying being here. Tonight one of my fellow Peace Corps volunteers, Jessica, will be meeting me for the weekend, and tomorrow we’re going to pick up another volunteer, Lalo. Whenever we all get together it’s always an interesting time. In fact, the last time I saw Lalo we were in a trailer park in Arizona finishing off a 12 pack with an ex-convict at 3am. Good stories to come.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
The things you do to be a good volunteer



Tags: , , , ,

6 responses to “Back in the Land of the Free”

  1. Scott says:

    You need a jumping picture with you in the Thai dress and hat!

  2. Jeanne Crawford says:

    Amanda, almost as good as the original experiences is reminiscing with those who were there. A wonderful time!

  3. Twy says:

    What great fun to get together with old friends. Nothing better……(convict, aye???)

    Can’t wait to hear more stories……..

    Have fun!!! See you soon!!!

  4. Adam Shane says:

    I think everything seems chaotic and relaxed in comparrison to Japan. How is that possible? I dunno… it’s just Japan!

  5. Greg says:

    Welcome back to land of the mai pen rai…! 🙂

    I can’t wait to get back down there….!!!

    stay jai dee,
    Greg

  6. Scott says:

    OK. I think it’s time to lay off the beer and mangoes and blog some more.

  7. matt says:

    no blog updates, nothin on myspace…are u ok?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *