BootsnAll Travel Network



Pip pip, and all that

While the longest schlep has come to an end, a new era of mini-schleps has begun. The location has changed, but the schlepping remains the same.

I’m once again back in the UK. This time I’m not studying, I’m not visiting, and I’m certainly not going to be blowing all my money going out to Time and Envy and Legends every single week. To be sure, I’m in London, a good long train ride away just in case I ever am tempted to. 🙂 Nope, this time I’m just here to live and work, and make the most of the six months that I’ll be over here before I have to go back to the States and sort out what to do with the rest of my life. Although, I haven’t at all bypassed the stress and unsurety that I’ll be going through when I move back and start looking for a job and a place to live, as that is exactly what I’m having to deal with at this very moment. When I tell people that I’m over here on a young person’s visa to work here for six months, everyone asks what it is that I’m doing; they don’t seem to realize that the ability to work and actually working are two very different things.

I arrived last Wednesday and have been staying with my friend Jim in Wimbledon ever since. I’ve been working my butt off scouring newspapers and online listings for potential jobs, and I’ve had a little bit of success so far…sort of. I went in for an interview last Friday for a position at a recruiting agency and I was offered the job, but it turned out that it was not at all what I had expected, and I am not going to take it. It was way out in north London and it sounded like the most monotonous, horribly boring job imaginable. I may be giving myself too much credit by thinking that I will surely come across something better, but I just can’t take that job. Fingers crossed that I either find a really fantastic job in the publishing industry or win the lottery…either one would do.

I had to think about whether or not I would continue this blog. I was shocked by how many people actually read my summer travel blog. When I got home my mom told me about people at work who had asked about me and had then followed my trip by checking the website every now and then. Then I found out that lots of other people had also heard about it from various sources, so I thought that if my stupid antics and near-death experiences can bring enjoyment to even one person who reads this blog then it just may be worth it to keep this thing going during my stay here. With my luck I wouldn’t be surprised if there are several near-death experiences in my future, and with my proficiency for making a complete fool of myself, I can guarantee some stupid antics. So stay tuned for the next six months, you little voyeurs you.



Tags: , , , , ,

One response to “Pip pip, and all that”

  1. Brian says:

    Hey, If you find the trick to winning the lottery, let me know, I sure could use the help. I’m sure that with your varied experiences, your sure to find a suitable job in the near future.

    Brian

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *