BootsnAll Travel Network



It’s ALIVE!!!

Joy of all joys, happiness beyond all belief–no, the kitties haven’t taught themselves to use the toilet–my lost blog entries have been recovered!!! I’ve been searching the past couple days, looking for cached versions of the missing pages, but to no avail. I knew it was hopeless, but I just kept checking, thinking maybe, just maybe, I’d get lucky. Then tonight my hopefulness was rewarded! Finally! I know that in the grand scheme of life losing a couple paragraphs’ worth of personal account of rather uneventful moments in my life is nothing, but it really did bother me. Not only because these entries take quite a lot of time to put together (believe it or not), but because I know that without having something written down it’s as good as forgotten in the years to come. And forgetting moments lived is like the proverbial tree falling in the forest. It’s all well and good if you’ve got someone there to witness your life so you can say a year from now, “Remember that time when I put a gummy bear on the window and it stuck and it looked like it was an evil gummy bear flying in the air all on its own in that picture I took?”, but in times like these when my only roommates are two cats and a gecko, a girl has to make do with what she has so that when I’m seventy I’ll be able to refer back to this and tell my grandchildren all about my exciting life of cat toilet behavior and crappy reality TV.

I really needed that happy little boost tonight. Today was a rough day. Last night I went to see The Strokes in Pompano and today at work I was dragging. It was just one of those days where no amount of coffee was going to do it for me. That didn’t stop me from trying though, and by mid-afternoon I had the mother of all headaches and wanted to crawl under my desk and sleep it off. It was really awful (still is in fact), but I had to go to the Aventura Mall after work to take care of a few things.

Big mistake. Nothing good has ever come about from going to the Aventura Mall. Let me recap: The first time I went my air conditioning broke, second time I went…ok, so nothing happened that time…third time, I had a fender-bender right before I got there (luckily it was a non-event so no real harm) AND my air conditioning broke on the way home, and today I go back and as I’m leaving my air conditioning breaks…again! It was a good thing I had a migraine because I felt too bad to spend any brain power worrying about it.

I had my window down on the drive home and I thought I smelled something burning when I stopped at the off ramp on Oakland Park Blvd. When I got going again I didn’t smell anything and I thought it must’ve been one of the other cars next to me. That was until I parked in front of my condo and saw smoke rising from the hood of my car. I have never had a car smoke like that before. I’ve always seen those crappy cars driving down the road, billowing black smoke from various orifices, and cast them disparaging looks. Well, today I was that poor SOB with the piece of crap smoking car…and it sucks.

I dumped my stuff in the passenger seat and popped the hood to take a look, hoping nothing would explode in my face. A guy was walking towards the building and called out, “Your car is smoking!” Thanks, Sherlock. I was flustered and I couldn’t get the hood up, so he came over and popped it open and the smoke kept on coming. I guess he knew a thing or two about cars, because he told me some things I didn’t understand, checked my oil and told me that wasn’t the problem. He was very nice and helpful, but he didn’t shed much light on the situation. It has to have something to do with the work they did on the air when I got it fixed on Friday (which was NOT covered by the previous work after all and has cost me the other arm and leg), so now I have to take it in again so I can sit in the scary waiting room and hope I don’t contract syphilis while they smash things about for a couple of hours and then tell me they fixed the problem.

It’s only Monday and I feel like I need the weekend desperately! Luckily for me I had a pretty good one this past weekend to fortify me for this crap. I went to the beach Saturday morning, which was so unbelievably pretty. It would have been the perfect day if it hadn’t been so hot. I couldn’t even lie down as the morning went on because there wasn’t enough of a breeze. I finally had to leave because it was so stifling. But I did get a pretty picture on my camera phone.

beach.jpg

Last night I made up for not going out Friday or Saturday night. The Strokes were playing in Pompano and I went to see them with Jeremy from work and a couple of his friends from Orlando. It was such a good show! I was more amazed at the people there than I was about anything else…who knew Fort Lauderdale had an indie scene? It was so refreshing to see people wearing something besides painted on day-glo lycra or stripy button-up shirts with spiky gelled hair! Oh how I missed it! I was really beginning to doubt that these people even existed this far south. It seriously felt like I had been transported back to London for a couple of hours, which can only be a good thing. Oh yeah, and the band was good too. 🙂 They were awesome! The opening band sucked–the only decent song they played was a Prince cover–but The Strokes were really great and the venue was pretty amazing given my expectations. It was loud, hot and the drinks were overpriced, but that’s all part of the fun! Hopefully we’ll get some more good shows down here again soon.

You can fool me once, pock-faced, teenage, high-tech scumbag, but oh no, you can’t fool me twice. I refuse to be deleted again. I’m backing up.



Tags: , , , ,

-2 responses to “It’s ALIVE!!!”

  1. Brian says:

    Wow. It stinks that some of your posts disappeared, good thing they were recoverable.

    That picture of the beach makes me jealous. It’s almost like one you had on your computer back when we worked in G2.

    Hope your car starts working better.

    B

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *