BootsnAll Travel Network



Traffic Jam NZ Style


Traffic Jam NZ Style

Originally uploaded by roupiesontour

January 20th – Dunedin

The journey from Invercargill to Dunedin takes you through the beautiful Catlins. There are so many sites to see here you could spend a week meandering but time was running out for us so we stopped to see a couple of waterfalls and lookout points and the boulders of somewhere I have forgotten the name of. They are huge cyclindrical shapes millions of years old just in the sea. They look like dinosaur eggs and as much as I tried I could not persuade the kids to sit on any of them for fear of getting drenched in the surf. The names here are great, we visited Niagara Falls – a humorous name for a tiny creek – and Cannibal Bay – where human bones were once found.

I love driving in NZ. They drive on the normal side of the road and even in the highest season on the busiest roads you can be by yourself. There is no pressure to driving as if you want to enjoy the scenery slowly you just pull over and let the locals pass. The concept of road rage must seem peculiar here. Our traffic jam today was sheep. Hundreds of them were walking down the road and you just had to stop to let them pass.

We arrived in Dunedin early evening and were surprised by all the hills, it’s up and down everywhere. The holiday park even had terraces but we got to pitch the tent next to a stream surrounded by trees – really pretty. We decided to take the car back into town (legs not quite up to the huge hike back here) and ate out as it was Sunday. We found a cafe – Metro with a huge UK subway map on the wall – the food was amazing and we took away some home made muffins for later too. Have I mentioned that the muffins in NZ are the best anywhere?



Tags: ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *