BootsnAll Travel Network



New Year’s Day

Well – what can I say……….

We had a great time last night – spent the afternoon in the pool and I made a fire from twigs and wood in the barbecue pit and we cooked sausages, baked pots and garlic bread. It was accompanied by a bottle of NZ’s finest bubbly – great. There was a band playing at the next door pub which we could overhear and fireworks at midnight. Welcome 2008!

 Today the sun was up early and what a brilliant blue sky greeted us this morning. I was up and raring to go – the kids a bit more subdued after finding the huge bugs in the loos. We travelled to Raglan by the sea – a very chilled out town with lots going on and sand that is black and sparkly. We took a bag away to add to our collection. Families were all out having picnics on the beach – it just seems so alien for New Year’s Day.

Hamilton was supposed to be our overnight stop before going on to Waitomo but the only caravan park in town was catually shut for the day – ahhhh! Another small drive on through scenery straight out of Hobbiton and onto Waitomo. I keep trying to think in my head what it is like – yes it reminds me of the UK on the most glorious summer day but it’s more like a cross betweent Switzerland and the UK.

Waitomo is a tiny town and we have come here to see the gloworms in the caves. The campsite once again has fantastic facilities – swimming pool, trampolines, laundry, kitchen with deck…………..I find myself feeling a bit guilty for basking in the sun while the kids play – totally relaxed while everyone back home enjoys the rain and the prospect of returning to work for another year end! We are actually enjoying the camping and the views each morning are so amazing as is all the sounds of the birds, some I recognise some not.



Tags: ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *