BootsnAll Travel Network



January 3rd – Stinky City


DSCF1181

Originally uploaded by roupiesontour

Onto Rotorua today – I am sad to be packing up the tent and leaving our idyllic scenery. Yes I say I as the kids have no problem helping me to put it up (they like banging things with the hammer) but when it comes to putting it down – they disappear…………..same thing happens with washing up.

I have been warned about the smell of the town – it’s the sulphur – but was pleasantly surprised. There was a faint whiff but nothing as bad as I expected. We found a site just out of town and wow – it is right by the side of a huge lake (and no smell at all). People here on holiday seem to have boats which looks fun, there’s even a slide in the lake and one of those platforms you swim up to! The lake is surrounded by pine trees (I think) and ferns and it really is stunning. I can’t wait to go for a walk tonight.

Steak on the Barbie for tea – well it is hard work driving and putting up the tent! The kids have run off to explore the facilities which seem to include ping pong and a pool table. There are loads of kids here so I am sure they will be able to keep themselves amused.

January 4th – Moari Culture

Te Puia – home of the famous Pohutu geyser and bubbling mud pools and at last we had the stink to get used to. Bad eggs is an understatement – wow! The centre was a good walk around and we had fun watching the strange bubbling mud pools and geyser explode. The main event was watching the culture show with a traditional Moari welcome. A Texan named Joe volunteered from the crowd to be our chief, well I say volunteered – no-one else got a chance. It was almost satisfying later to see him slightly intimidated by the Haka. The traditional war dance – seen more often on the rugby playing fields was really amazing up close and all the tongue sticking out and protruding eyes made you want to look away. Josh was well into it and reckons he knows the opening bit so he’s going to keep practising to scare his sister.

From Moari culture to NZ latter day culture. O has been bugging me about this since we landed in the country so we made a trip out to the zorbing centre. For those of you who are unsure, a zorb is a huge inflated golf ball (see through) with another smaller ball attached inside. You sit inside the inner ball and roll down a hill – aka zorbing. It was invented in this country and seemed only fitting to test it here. The kids opted for zorbit – both in the orb with water added for an extra splash. The ball went so fast down the hill it went up again the other side. They had a blast and are still talking about it tonight. Me – I chickened out. I must be getting old as I really did not fancy getting wet and preferred to watch. Apparently my pension is in the post.



Tags: ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *