BootsnAll Travel Network



I’ve Never Been So Far Away From Home…………..

New Zealand – December 28th

 

Well we have already lost a whole day – we took off on Dec 27th at 07.30 and landed 5 hours later on Dec 28th at 12.30 – I suppose the budget can breathe a sigh of relief.

 

First impressions – warmer than I expected with bright blue skies. We had not pre-arranged a car having been advised that good deals could be got at the airport. The majority of rental car firms had no cars left so we ended up with a Hyundai Getz, guess it’s lucky I am used to small cars. The bags just fit in the back so we’ll manage. The tourist centre at the airport was very helpful and I would recommend anyone going through Auckland airport to pay a visit. After we were armed with about 3 tonnes of brochures and maps we set off. The roads are easy to drive, although knowing that car insurance is not compulsory in this country does make you more alert.

 

A spectacular drive through Auckland and over the harbour bridge is a great introduction to the country – the city is spectacular, dominated by the Sky Tower and surrounded by islands, beaches and marinas – it looks so clean. We drove north and had our first shock – the price of accommodation even in hostels is astronomical and everything is booked up. I know we are in the middle of summer but I really was expecting just to be able to at least find something. We drove to Goat’s Island past amazing scenery of pine trees and ferns, empty beaches that seemed to go on forever and roads that go up and down and round and round. Goat’s Island and the next town were full so after a stop at a fab pub in Puhoi to consider our options we ended up in a motel in Warkworth. Another shock, both motels and bed and breakfasts are both upmarket here – some b&b’s charge over $300 a night! The motel was very clean but we have already decided to buy a tent tomorrow to keep the budget down and also have more options as everywhere is full. We finished the day with a trip to the supermarket to admire the Vegemite row.

 

December 29th – 3 Go Camping

 

Lonely Planet recommended a few places near so we did what any self respecting Brit would do and visited Sheepworld. It looked very quiet and the kids were a bit nervous about going into ghostown but after seeing the mammoth slide with inflated tyres they were persuaded. We were treated to a sheep shearing show and as visiting Poms had the mickey taken out of us all morning – “sweet as – eh”. I spent a while talking to the lady on reception – her Devon accent gave her away – she emigrated 3 years ago so it was good to hear what it had been like for her.

 

A small honey café was our next stop – glass fronted hives, honey tasting and the best ice cream ever – yum. We also managed to find a shopping centre and bought a tent and 3 sleeping bags. By the time we leave here it should have easily paid for itself, it remains to be seen how much the cost on my nerves will be! The first excitement about camping is still there as it is new – again adding something different to our trip. We found a Top 10 holiday park outside Auckland, the facilities are excellent and it’s like a little community with camper vans, caravans and tents.

 

It took about an hour to work out how to put up the “easy” tent and finish it. No swearing but it still looked a little wonky and I prayed for no strong winds. It wasn’t as bad as I thought and was very cosy inside but job for tomorrow – sleeping mats.

 

December 30th – Auckland

 

Well here we are again – we decided that we couldn’t miss seeing this beautiful city so we spent  the day exploring. Glorious sunshine again – we seem to be lucky with the weather. The city was not at all busy (even for a Sunday) and not stressful to drive around. We visited the Sky Tower observatory – the tallest building in the southern hemisphere and crawled towards the windows to look down at the amazing views. They have viewing glass on the floor which I actually plucked up the courage to walk across and felt my stomach tighten to the sixe of a pea. To make matters worse you can “jump” from the tower attached to a wire to a red target mark below. 2 kids of about 14/15 did it while we watched. O said she would prefer jumping out of a plane – code for no way in hell would I jump off the tower! Josh just stuck to the back and tried to guess what nationality a huge group of men in Navy uniforms was – we ended up guessing Russian as they also had those weird hats on.

 

An afternoon scenic drive around the city (ok so we did get a little bit lost) but we found our way in time to catch the view from the top of Mount Eden. It is one of about 50 volcanoes in Auckland and the view sweeps across a city whose pastel coloured suburbs seem to go on forever. I have no idea why but I was reminded of being at Bristol downs.

 

2nd night camping and after a game of Frisbee and adjusting the guy ropes on the tent (after looking at other people’s tents Josh worked out what we have done wrong) we got talking to a Swiss girl who has already toured the islands in her little VW camper van. We have worked out that camping is definitely cheaper, with the additional rental fees of the camper you still have to pay to “overnight” it in a holiday park. Still can’t believe that you pay per person for a tent/camper van, not per site and the kids class as adults. I wonder if Oz is cheaper?

 

New Year’s Eve

 

We are one of the first to get the New Year here and although I have never been a big fan (it always feels like a bit of a let down) I am rather excited. I am writing this in the tent surrounded by bugs all over the top of the tent outside and watching the last sun of 2007 gradually set. We will be lighting the barbecue soon and have spent the afternoon at Waingaro Hot Springs which also has a caravan park. There are trees all around, I can hear the birds, sheep and even see a deer from our site. It feels a million miles from home. The pools are hot and there were huge slides for the kids to play on and motorised donut things so I just basked in the sunshine and read my book – bliss.

 

We have decided that the tent looks far too boring so after scouring the supermarket for some permanent markers have all started to decorate the tent. Doodles of places we have been will hopefully one day cover the dull grey and blue. For now we have Auckland tower, sheep and a kiwi – no mistaking it’s our tent now.

 

I know that this will not hit our blog for a while but I just wanted to wish everyone a Happy New Year and let’s hope it’s a good one – for me as great as 2007 was. To all those who are travelling in 2008 – it’s this year – not long to go now!!!



Tags: ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *